Thursday 10 January 2019

summer learning journey day 3

task 1
your own mythical beast
Pukurua The Greedy


Did you know I have a Ahwinat? Well I do. Her name is Pukurua. Most people think she is evil but that’s only because she steals everyone's food! Her head is circular and she has an oval body and four legs. She has an oval eye as well as her two small wings on her back. Her food basket is an oval like shape and it sits on the bottom of her back. She has a mud brown head, neck and a back leg. Her other three legs are pink. She has four orange feet, blue eyes and thin peach hair which comes out the top of her head. She also has two wings on her back and the outer part of her wings is kikorangi and the inner part is kōwhai. She has a kākāriki food basket with a pango net. She also has a kākāriki tail with mangu spots and black hair on the end. Her hobbies are stealing food and eating. I love flying on Pukurua’s back. She can go as fast as the wind. When we fly we go up to the sky, under the earth and into the sea. I go everywhere on my Ahwinat. Once we went into outer space and into a black hole it was like a display of colours. It looked incredible. But then we had to go before we got sucked in by gravity. I have an amazing Ahwinat!

task 2
pros and cons of being a doc ranger

Pros:
  • you get to see pretty bush
  • you get to be around cool birds like kiwi  
  • you have a job without pollousion
Cons:
  • theres relly ugly uniform
  • you might get lost in the bush
in conlesion i would not like to be a dock ranger

task 3
wwf

the wwf is trying to save the saimaa ringed seal. they are doing this by bilding snow banks for the seals to nest in. i think that it worck effectively because  if there are no snow banks the seals will just nest on the ice  and the pups are to vonrible to preaditers and the cold.









1 comment:

  1. Hello Brighid,

    I'm Evelyn and I am working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you are having fun on this journey!

    Is an Ahwinat a Taniwha but spelt backwards? Because I think that's a genius idea! I love that you have included aspects of our own unique Māori culture to create your breast, it just makes Pukurua that more special! You have really tested my knowledge about colours in Māori but I've managed to follow along. Thanks for the challenge, it was great fun! Does Pukurua steal people's food because she's always hungry? If I ever got the chance to meet her, I would bring truckloads of food to offer her so that people can keep their lunches for the day. I think it's quite cute that she has thin peach hair, it's such a lovely colour! Pukurua seems like a really sweet beast, I can tell you have shared a lot of fantastic memories with her and I would love to meet her! I think Newt Scamander (the main character from Fantastic Beasts) would also be very impressed by her! :)

    You have made some good points about the pros and cons of being a Department of Conservation (DOC) ranger. Becoming a DOC ranger isn't something for everyone. What would you like to be in the future? Singing has always been my dream job but I'm incredibly shy to perform in front of people so I chose to become a teacher and it's been quite an interesting and exciting experience!

    I love that you have written your answers out in full sentences, it helps the readers know what questions you are answering. Yes, you're absolutely correct, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is working hard to save the Saimaa Ringed Seal, one of the rarest seals in the world. Why is important that they are making these snow banks for the seals and what happens if there are no snow banks for them? It's amazing what people can achieve when we come together and offer a helping hand. There is still plenty of work to be done to ensure that we are able to protect these animals but any efforts made will always be helpful to their well-being.

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.